The jian is a double-edged straight sword used during the last 2,500 years in China. In Chinese folklore, it is known as the “Gentleman of Weapons” and is considered one of the four major weapons, along with the gun (staff), qiang (spear), and the dao (sword).
This jian is also sometimes referred to as taijijian or “t’ai chi swords”, reflecting their current use as training weapons for Taijiquan practitioners, who train extensively with jian and expertise in its techniques is said by many of them to be the highest physical expression of their martial skills.
Our jian is a cutting sword, the blade is hand forged and fully sharpened. It’s not the flexible type used for wushu. This sword has a full tang and the pommel is threaded. We placed a bamboo peg on the handle for added security.
• Blade Material: 1050 carbon steel (mono-steel)
• Edge: Fully sharpened
• Treatment: Hand Forged, Through Hardened, Heat Treated & Tempered, Water Quenched
• Overall Length w/o saya: 38 inches
• Blade Length: 30 inches
• Handle: 7 inches wood (threaded pommel)
• Scabbard: 31.5 inches natural wood finish
• Fittings: Zinc alloy
• Mekugi: 1 bamboo peg
• Tang: Full tang
• Hamon: None
• Specs may vary slightly from sword to sword
• Cannot be disassembled
• Packaging: carton box