Tora (Tiger) – Symbolizes invincibility, power and might. In Japan, the tiger is associated with passion, ferocity, sensuality, speed and beauty. The animal is also known for its cruelty and wrath. According to Japanese tradition if you see a tiger in a dream, it denotes the coming of a new power your way.
• Blade Material: 1060 carbon steel (mono-steel)
• Edge: Fully sharpened
• Treatment: Hand Forged, Through Hardened, Heat Treated & Tempered, Water Quenched
• Blade Length: 28 inches
• Tsuka: 11.5 inches wood
• Saya: 30 inches glossy black lacquered finish w/ gold streaks
• Tsuba: Iron
• Fuchi / Kashira / Habaki / Seppa / Menuki: Brass
• Tsukaito: Dark Brown silk
• Sageo: Brown/Yellow silk shigeuchi
• Mekugi: 2 bamboo pegs
• Samegawa: Black real ray skin panels
• Nakago: Full tang
• Hamon: None
• Specs may vary slightly from sword to sword
• Can be disassembled
• Includes cloth bag
• Packaging: carton box
The Tora Katana features a ‘sukashi’ (open work) tiger face blackened iron tsuba, brass fuchi-kashira with tiger design, and brass dragon menuki. We chose a dragon design for the menuki to compliment the tiger theme of the tsuba, because the tiger and dragon are ancient symbols of yin and yang, forces that combine to make up the universe. The blade has a double bohi: a bo-hi (wide groove) and a soe-hi (single narrow groove). The saya has a black glossy lacquered finish with gold stripes that resemble claw scratches. It comes with a shigeuchi brown-gold silk sageo.
Read the review about this sword here. You can also watch the sword in action in the video below.